The Capen house was built in 1885 by James Seymour Capen, the developer of the Winter Park “Dinky Line” train. The house is said to be the third oldest house in Winter Park. Over the years the Capen house went through several owners, each of which transformed the house in some manner. The 4,200 square foot house is a beautiful mix of Victorian and Tudor styles.
Capen House in 1885
Capen House in 2013
In 2013, the last owners of the Capen house planned to demolish the home. However, funds were raised by the residents of Winter Park to relocate the home and it was saved from being demolished. The Capen house was then moved from its original location to where it currently resides within the Albin Polasek Museum grounds. Since the home was too large to be moved via the narrow Winter Park roads, the house had to be floated, on a barge, across Lake Osceola. In order to cross the lake, the home had to be cut in half. It took approximately two years rejoining and restoring the house.
Capen House being moved across the lake
The Capen house is now features museum offices, history exhibits, artworks, collections from the Polasek Museum. The house is available for workshops, meetings, and special events, one of which we prefer, weddings! Weddings can take place out on the romantic dock or up on the outdoor patio of Capen House surrounded by the beautiful flowers and greenery of the Albin Polasek Museum & Sculpture Gardens. The winding pathways and diverse flora creates the perfect place for both group and romantic photographs after the ceremony. Be a part of history and have your wedding at this most magical of places, right in the heart of Winter Park.
Capen house weddings; photographs credit Winter Park Photography